Monday, October 30, 2006

George Barbier: Sexy Flamboyant Art Deco




George Barnier, makes me smile. His style is dripping with the 1920's and the mood is so subtle and his characters over the top, I giggle at his stuff everytime I see it. It's super entertaining to me, and the body positions, fashions, and compositions are amazing. He's simple and powerful; not an easy combonation to pull off. This old style has alot of genuien charm, and I think it wouldn't hurt to begin mixing this style in today's pallet.

I couldn't find a real solid gallery or any site dedicated to George Barbier entirely, (maybe I need to make him one,) so I'm posting a few different sites. (These links will open in a new window)

Best Link lots-o-pics
link1 Click titles in left side frame for images
link2 Some pages from a book of his
link3 Check out both pages

also check out his associate from their group "Ecole des Beaux Arts" Mr. Pierre Brissaud

I realize these artist may not blow everyone's hair back like they did mine, and so feedback to this post will prevent or encourage similar artist in the future. But a little diversity never hurt anybody.

George Barbier (1882 - 1932) was one of the great French illustrators of the early 20th century. Born in Nantes France on October 10, 1882, Barbier was 29 years old when he mounted his first exhibition in 1911 and was subsequently swept to the forefront of his profession with commissions to design theatre and ballet costumes, to illustrate books, and to produce haute couture fashion illustrations. For the next 20 years Barbier led a group from the Ecole des Beaux Arts who were nicknamed by Vogue Magazine as "The Knights of the Bracelet" - a tribute to their fashionable and flamboyant mannerisms and style of dress. (wikipedia)

For Christmas one of you can buy me any of these books: The Illustrations of George Barbier in Full Color (Paperback) or Art Deco Fashion PLEASE PLEASE

No comments: